Work life after Covid-19 will change. Preparation is key to mitigating current risk, avoiding unanticipated consequences and maintaining flexibility to address future adjustments and requirements. The first step is understanding what your employees' perceptions and concerns before you resume business operations. Surveying employees will enable you to anticipate the issues related to creating a safe workplace environment that minimizes the perceived risk of exposure to the virus. You also need to understand the laws and regulations imposed on your business by federal, state and local authorities. It isn’t enough to just reopen the doors. You need a plan.
At Foxdale we recommend taking the following steps:
1. Survey your employees asking them about key issues including health care concerns, remote working issues, child-care, commuting and what coming back to the office looks like for them.
2. Evaluate your various workplace options – revolving work schedules, keeping part of your staff working remotely, bringing everyone back.
3. Assess your workplace policies – what needs to change? What new policies do you need? How does management need to change?
4. Assess existing contracts and relationships– healthcare, custodial, IT, insurance, and others.
5. Plan to communicate the changes and alterations to your policies and procedures.
6. Create the plan.
This Preparation period is also the time to outline a contingency plan for your business in the event of a second wave of the virus.